Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can and Yes We Did!


I cannot even begin to explain the joy I felt last night watching Barack Obama win the presidential election by a landslide. I am still in so much awe.


I never thought I would see the day where someone who is part African American would or even could win the presidency. How awesome that those of us who desired to see a change can see the manifestations of our voting and our prayers.


Some question whether Barack will be able to deliver on all his promises of change. I think we must all be aware that he is just a man and that he has people he has to consult with. I just pray that God leads him to bring men and women into his cabinet who know what they're doing and are not out for personal gain.


I currently am apart of a birth club where moms who are expecting in November can chat. Last night there was a post on our new president. Most moms were excited to see that some sort of change was around the corner. Others, not so much. And I realized that this is okay. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and feelings, but some things that were said was enough to make me want to jump through my computer screen! For instance, one mother had the audacity to say that she did not want the money that she, "worked so hard for," to go to people that basically don't get off of their butts. Though I do not qualify for a lot of assistance because, according to the state of Ohio, I, "make too much," I do qualify for some assistance and, honestly, if I didn't, I would feel so much better. So since I do, I would like it to be known that I am a college educated (and graduated!) woman with a full time job. I have faced a lot of experience on my job that MANY of these, "hard workers," have never and will never experience. How dare you lump me in a category of unmotivated people? I was insulted.


Another mom had the nerve to suggest that Barack does not even represent America...in her words, "not even his name!" This REALLY pushed my butttons. So are you telling me now that a man born and bred in the United States has to have and "Anerican" name (whatever the heck that is...) to be deemed worthy of presidency? Shameful.


Comments like these make me realize that we have come a long way as Americans (we proved that last night!) but we have a long way to go. I mean, whenever a man has to stand behind a bulletproof glass to make his acceptance speech for fear of being assassinated, that is insane.


With all the hate and cruelty that spews from people's mouths, I am proud to say that I am an American and that my son will be born into a country that may not be the greatest, but that is interested in seeing a change. I can tell him, "You can be anything you want to be, yes, even the president of the United States." And he can look at President-elect Barack Obama and say, "Hey, he looks like me. Maybe I really can do this."

P.S. Hope you all enjoy the photo!

No comments: